Wednesday 19 January 2011

Enforced Jollity - a condition of employment?

Firstly, may I apologise for the length of time I have been away from the sofa. I moved house and now I share my sofa with a boy and 2 cats. I'm pretty sure you can guess which 2 dominate the sofa in our household.

But I have plenty to share and will indulge in a little ranting over the next few weeks.

My current full time employment is in the voluntary sector. You know that sector of work that does all kinds of good stuff in the community and doesn't make any kind of profit? That sector that has been around for hundreds of years and isn't the brain child of our new government.

All these funding cuts and giving the power to the community instead of central government sounds great in theory, but actually, cuts to local government funding means cuts to the funding the third sector receive from their local council resulting in masses of redundancies and a loss of valuable and much needed community projects in the area.

I'm not being funny right...but how much did our government actually spend on those fireworks for New Years Eve? And really? Were they necessary?
It's alright love, I may be unemployed now but at least we saw some lovely sparklers on the TV.

So faced with inpending unemployment a few of us decided that as the shape of our organisation will be completely different from April, we should have a party. Because there's only so many leaving drinks we can all go to!

Now I like organising stuff, so I volunteered to be one of the party planners. This is my vision for the party:
We hire a venue - that's a must, there'll be about 100 of us and just piling into the pub is a bit unrealistic.
The venue will have a DJ and a bar - they're both very important - well the bar is anyway!
We all bring a plate of food to share and create a makeshift buffet - coz we've got no funding for this...
we all turn up on the night, get drunk, chat to our work mates who we may never see again, and maybe cut a few shapes on the dancefloor.

Being of sound mind and having a generally good feel for the other employees of the organisaton after 4 years there I feel fairly certain that my idea for the party - simple though it may be - will be pretty much what everyone else is hoping for.

But I'm up against ideas that aim to bring joy and fun and entertainment and ice breaking and fucking enforced jollity to the occasion. If anyone tells me that at my leaving do I have to get up and perform some kind of routine rehearsed with my team then frankly, thanks but no thanks...I'll probably swerve it and go the pub with all the other normal work colleagues who spend enough of their days doing bloody ice breakers, networking and talking to people they don't know. If I don't know someone in my company on the day I am leaving - I'm not going to spend my farewell party talking to them when I could be spending it with the work mates I actually give a shit about.

I mean ok maybe it would be sort of funny to see the various reactions of people when they turn up to have a few scoops and find themselved ushered into a group of strangers to play spin the bottle, but really - We're not organising a show, we're not putting on an event. We just want to go and get pissed with some people we've grown to care about and may never see again. Now what is so hard to plan about that??

No comments:

Post a Comment