Saturday 10 May 2014

While There is Tea There is Hope*

There is a lot of tea drinking throughout Inspired By Night. While many female lead characters will crack open a bottle of Pinot or Merlot, Olivia Jones just sticks the kettle on.


Someone asked me once: “What’s the nicest thing anyone ever said to you?” I replied: “Would you like a cup of tea?


I come from a long line of tea drinkers, I don’t recall trying tea for the first time, it is just something I’ve always done for as long as I can remember. It is, in fact, a principle of mine that I never say no to a cup of tea.


Afternoon tea


However, I hate making tea! At work I was always pretty good at holding out in the office tea round stand off. Hence never saying no to a brew!

Since I started working for myself my own tea intake has reduced, although I’m pretty good at making a brew for my guests and visitors. In fact, it’s the first thing I ask. It’s a great ice breaker when a new client walks through the door. You will never be stuck for something to say to a stranger when there’s the option of offering a cuppa!


“I made him four cups of tea today. If I were any nicer it would be borderline sexual harassment.” – Olivia Jones


A long time ago I lived and worked in London. While travelling home one night I had missed the last train and was stressing about getting home. My companion turned to me and said “you know, whatever happens, however long it takes, at some point we will be at home drinking a nice cup of tea.” I nodded and said “There is no problem that can’t be fixed with a cup of tea.”


Ah tea, the nation’s healer! – Olivia Jones


 


I just ordered this pendant from Scribbelicious, a fabulous jewellery maker that recycles old books and creates beautiful custom ordered items using quotes from your favourite books.


Tea pendant

*Title quote taken from the play Sweet Lavendar by Arthur Wing Pinero, 1888.



While There is Tea There is Hope*

No comments:

Post a Comment