Monday 14 April 2014

How do you go about writing a novel?

One of the most common responses I get when I mention I’ve written a novel is this:


“wow, I wouldn’t even know where to start.”


I spent a lot of time before I started writing, reading blogs and hints on how to structure a novel, how story arcs should be developed and common examples.


But in the end I decided that the best way for me to approach it was to just start writing.


I did plot out a vague timeline but the finished story barely represents those initial notes because I found that as I got into it, I got to know my characters and how they behaved together started to dictate the story. The plan I started with, just didn’t quite work; it was too contrived and I really wanted to try and create something that felt real.


There are huge parts of the book that just happened without me having planned them previously. But those parts are actually my favourite plot lines and I’m so glad that they naturally developed in the process of writing.


In all honesty, when I started writing Inspired by night, I had no intention of submitting it to any publishers because I didn’t imagine I could write something worthy of publication. I am absolutely terrible at grammar and punctuation, and I’m not even particularly imaginative. But novel writing is something I’ve wanted to do since I was 9 years old (too many years ago to calculate) but I had never had the confidence to just do it, because of my terrible grasp of the written English language.


My biggest fear at the moment, is that I won’t be able to do it again! And because I didn’t really follow a particular plan, I am desperately hoping I can remember how I wrote this one so I can try and emulate the process and create a smashing sequel!


So how do you write a novel? I don’t really know, but I’m hoping that with enough practice I’ll work it out!



How do you go about writing a novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment