Thursday 11 December 2014

What's the worst thing about being an author?

http://youtu.be/9g6VJJ5VLkc


I think the worst thing is on a similar theme to the best thing. While being fully immersed in a world you create, the worst thing is never being able to experience your novel the way your readers will.


The novel writing process goes through many drafts, but with every change you make you always know the big picture and the conclusion.


If there’s a plot twist, you as the author will rarely be surprised by it. You know it’s coming even if it’s only a few seconds before you write it down. When you proof read it, you already know the ending.


When you’re writing parts that you hope will either build suspense or surprise your readers, you can never guage whether you’ve been successful because you always know what’s coming when you read it.


I’ve had some lovely reviews of Inspired by Night and they give me with a warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction and pride when I read that I achieved the elements of surprise or entertainment that I intended. But I also find myself thinking that it sounds like the sort of novel I’d enjoy reading, and wish I could have experienced it that way myself. Instead, I read it so many times that I sort of hated it by the time it was published!



What's the worst thing about being an author?

No comments:

Post a Comment