Wednesday 10 December 2014

What's the hardest thing about writing?

http://youtu.be/QQ2fkEPKUzQ


I’m something of a professional procrastinator. I can find all sorts of things to do when I’m trying to focus on something, and for some reason, writing is the one thing that really inspires some of my best efforts of procrastination.


Whether it’s writing blog posts, essays, homework, funding applications or fiction.


If I eventually sit myself down at the computer, I can busy myself for ages, selecting the right music, re-reading the previous chapter, and making sure I’ve got my notebook handy. By the time I’ve done all that I probably need a cup of tea. Maybe some biscuits. If there’s nothing snacky to hand, I’ve been known to bake a cake.


But then you can’t immerse yourself into your world and really get any writing done when you’re waiting for the oven timer to ring, then the cakes need to cool…


Once I finally get into it, I can write for hours. I can knock out 10,000 words on a good day if I have no distractions.


Unfortunately, running my own business and living with two pesky moggins means there’s no shortage of distractions.


It’s a miracle I ever wrote anything!



What's the hardest thing about writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment