Friday 1 August 2014

I've now got something of a crush on Jack Bauer.

Spoiler alert: I’m warning you now, I’m going to talk about 24. If you haven’t watched it and don’t want to have any plot lines ruined, click here now and step away from this page…


I really enjoyed Live Another Day. I lived in London for 6 years and it was great recognising places and seeing Jack Bauer running around my old stomping ground.


There was a couple of things I found odd, like hearing Chloe refer to a mobile phone instead of a cell. Why did they do that? Okay she’s in England, but she’s still American, talking to another American – why switch to UK English?


The President is dead!


imageNot really – I just said that in case anyone spots it before they click away from the page. The president isn’t really dead. Unless we’re talking about President Palmer. Or President Palmer. Neither brother had a long life span in 24 – although David Palmer fared pretty well crossing over 5 series.


Anyway, what I really wanted to exclaim is:


They blew up Wembley Stadium!


imageI couldn’t believe that. I mean, yes the cliffhanger that President Heller had also been blown up was shocking, but not as shocking as seeing the turf at Wembley blown up! I was gobsmacked.


Agent… Walker?


image


 


I loved Agent Kate Morgan. Yvonne Strahovski is no stranger to playing kick-ass CIA agents after her role as Sarah Walker in Chuck – in fact I couldn’t help picturing Chuck in the early episodes when she talked about her husband being jailed for selling secrets to China. That sort of sounds like something Chuck might unwittingly do!


Consequently we kept referring to her as Sarah Walker, which got a tad confusing when we think of poor Agent Walker, who’s death lead to Jack’s rampage that resulted in him being on the run and branded a traitor in America.


Seriously – Jack Bauer, a traitor?


image


The man who responded with:


with all due respect, Madam President, ask around.


When questioned about where his loyalties lay.


That was the worst part for me. After all these years, after the number of times Jack Bauer has thwarted terrorists, kept America safe and willingly sacrificed his own life for the greater good – he gets branded a traitor? Because he gave that sneaky sniveling dirty rat of an ex-president, Charles Logan a good kick up the ass?

Frankly I don’t know why Jack Bauer isn’t elected President. He’s got a much better clue about what’s going on in the world than anyone else does.


I mentioned this a while back, but we decided to start 24 again from the beginning, finishing all 8 previous series just as Day 9 came to an end. It’s been a great run and I’m sad it’s over. I really hope that they renew it. I’ve missed 24. I’d be delighted to see it return for a full series. I mean they can’t leave it at 9, right?


I love Jack Bauer. He’s like a cross between Superman and The Terminator. Indestructible and relentless in the face of terror. Long may he remain a part of popular culture.


What do you think? Is Jack Bauer a superhero? Share your thoughts below.



I've now got something of a crush on Jack Bauer.

No comments:

Post a Comment