Wednesday 2 February 2011

Eye ruined my holiday...

eye ruined my holiday!

Well it was bad enough spraining my wrist on day 1 of a snowboarding holiday but I managed to make the trip even worse by getting an eye infection. 

Yes that's right I'm now making everyone feel a bit awkward by sitting around with a constant stream of tears running down one side of my face. 

It actually started on day 1 when I woke up with something in my eye. It watered for an hour and then felt fine and was soon forgotten when I fell on my wrist. The next morning however, I awoke with the same irritation which again seemed to heal after an hour or so although I did spend most of day 2 crying in frustration at not being able to play out in the snow with everyone, lift my own brew or even cut my own food up. 

Yesterday - day 3 I was really surprised to wake up with the same thing except on this day it didn't get better. I came to the conclusion that I must have a spot or something on the inside of my eyelid which causes irritation particularly when I close my eyes. Well that's just brilliant isn't it? 

We had a lovely day. My boyfriend and I took a ride up towards the top if the mountain and played in the snow. It was lots of fun. Brilliant thick snow that came up to my knees in parts and the sun was bright and warm. except that the sun was really hurting my eye and I could barely open it. 

Eventually I decided to find the pharmacy and the lady serving me took one look at my face and said "oh you've got a problem" in a delightful French accent while reaching for a bottle of optrex and some antiseptic eye drops. 

Now might be a good time to mention how squeamish I am when it comes to eyes. Having a problem with my eye is the worst possible thing that could happen. I get into a state over the glaucoma test at the opticians! 

But I returned and washed my eye as best I could with optrex and my boyfriend put the drops in my eye. 

Today however I can barely keep my eye open. It waters constantly until I have to close it but closing it hurts more. My eye is red and swollen and the light hurts it. I have turned into a vampire!

So I spent all day wearing sunglasses in a dark room apparently crying from 1 eye but trying really hard not to be miserable and hoping that the constant stream of "tears" is flushing some kind of badness away. 

Now I'm sat wearing sunglasses in a bar with wifi trying to watch the Liverpool game on a laptop. I feel like a goddam jackass wearing shades at night and indoors. 

On the plus side I can cut up my own food again!

No comments:

Post a Comment