Tuesday 14 April 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Oh yes, being from Liverpool I am naturally very well cultured.

On Friday night for instance, I went to see the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra perform at the O2 Arena in London....ok the fact they were performing the music from Star Wars is irrelevant. They were breathtaking.

After the Fox Fanfare brought down the curtains and the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...." appeared on screen and the opening bars of the Star Wars theme rang out I promptly started to cry.

There were hundreds, (or at least it looked like hundreds) of musicians on the stage, all in their formal attire, the conductor at the front leading them...playing Star Wars music. It was just awesome. Well I can't summon the words to describe how awesome it was, given that I claim most things to be awesome....this was Uber Awesome!

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra... Well ok that doesn't mean that much to me either, but apparently in terms of Philharmonic Orchestras the Royal is like at the top of the premiership.

It may have been the least formal crowd they have played to; lots of nerdy middle-aged men wearing tshirts with slogans like "Han shot first" or R2/D2 in the AC/DC style font or various storm trooper or Darth Vader images. Stormtroopers walking across the zebra crossing like on the Abbey Road album cover.

Members from the 501st legion (group of enthusiasts across the world who have full on Star Wars costumes and turn up at these public events) turned up to pose for photos with the crowd...I hung back slightly from Darth Vader and his imperial guards...I don't care that he's just a man in a suit...he's terrifying. But I was loving the Storm Troopers. They really are pretty damn sexy looking!

Speaking of scary I've affectionately started calling my boyfriends cat Darth Tilly, because she combines that sort of menacing all in black ensemble (broken up by a collar of bling) with eyes that stare right through you, and if you could hear her thoughts she would speak in the same voice as Stewie off Family Guy.

I am convinced she is trying to kill me. Maybe in a blind fit of jealous rage that I'm taking attention away from her. I wake up in the night unable to breathe coz she's sleeping on my chest. She walks under my feet when I'm carrying hot tea up the stairs, and she hangs off my feet when they stick out the end of the bed. I am scratched to bits. Although admittedly, while i'm being punished for taking his attention, he is being punished even more for giving me attention...when he drinks tea it starts squirting out of him from all the punture wounds!!

Aw but then we get on the sofa under the red blanket and she comes and curls up on our knee and headbutts us to make us stroke her and she purrs so loud we have to crank up the volume on the tv.

So really, while she might err on the dark side, there's still some good in her!

No comments:

Post a Comment