Friday 11 July 2014

This is the last time I read this...

As you know, this is my first novel. I never imagined when I started writing it, that it would end up getting published. I had explored the Kindle option for self publishing and that was about as much as I was planning. I thought if anyone buys it, then wow, that would be great. But I had no expectations at all.


The problem is, despite wanting to write for as long as I can remember, I discovered that my grasp of grammar rules and punctuation, is awful. I have that salt and pepper rule – write it, then liberally sprinkle some commas over it and it’ll be fine.


I assumed that being an expert in all that stuff was a pre-requisite to being an author.


Two weeks ago I received an email from my editor at Xcite books. I offered my commiseration that she had the unenviable task of correcting my work. She told it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought. Which was fabulous news. Made me very happy indeed.


I set about reading the edits and found myself skipping through to the comments and ignoring the bulk of the content. In truth, I am sick of reading this story!


The comments were very helpful, things I hadn’t thought about, small inconsistencies that hadn’t occurred to me. it was nice really, seeing that someone had read it and absorbed the character details and could say things like “would he really do that though?”


So, changes made, the book has now been past a proof-reader and I have one last version to read through before I say “Okay, I’m happy with that, press the big red button!”


I know I will need to pay close attention this time, so I’ve mentally prepared myself for hiding away in a corner all weekend and reading my novel again.


It almost saddens me that I don’t want to read it. I spent a lot of time writing it, even longer editing it and polishing it up to the point where I was happy to show people. But now I’ve read so many versions of it I can’t imagine I’ll ever read it again.


Which is a great shame – coz I’ve got plenty of novels that I’ve read ten times or more over the years. I guess that means Inspired by Night is unlikely to become something of a classic that will be read over and over… or maybe all authors secretly hate their own work by the time it hits the shelves. I wonder how many times Jane Austen read Pride and Prejudice after it was published? I bet it wasn’t as many times as I’ve read it!


I wish I could read my novel, not knowing what was going to happen. I knew the plot twists and turns even before they were committed to [virtual] paper. i just hope that people read it and enjoy it and that it has the impact I was aiming for.


Well not much longer tip we find out. Only 6 more weeks!


 



This is the last time I read this...

No comments:

Post a Comment